Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

27 June 2009

Grady Clary & his friend Leonard Dortch- Trying to ID Grady Clary



Robert Leonard Dortch was known in Mecklenburg, VA as Leonard or Lenny. His second marriage was to Virginia Wynn Johnson. Leonard was in the military and lived in Norfolk for several years. After marrying Virginia in 1955, he brought her to Mecklenburg to the area he grew up in, to meet his friends & family. I hear that Robert lived near Crestview Cemetery off Highway One. There are several family pictures taken in this 1955 trip. Including this one with Grady Clary and an unknown young girl standing next to her. The older woman beside Grady Clary is Annie Burton Wright. Then there are some family pictures with Grady Clary in 1961. I'm wondering and guessing if this second picture in 1961 is Grady Clary & his wife? These pictures come from Leonard's descendants. But we don't know who Grady Clary is. Was he just a really good friend? Or was he family too? We do have several Clary kin. We are curious as to who Grady Clary's family was? And if Grady was a nickname or his real name? So far I can't find a Grady Clary on the 1930 Census. Please comment here or email me if you recognize the people in these pictures.
(Note: you can click on the pictures in the post to view them full screen.)

No comments: