Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly, with the lack of records for my family, that I’d really have to “think outside the box”. I LOVE to interview people, and ask about "the older days" in Mecklenburg. I also study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try help preserve some of those memories people share with me. Feel free to sign my guestbook stating surnames you are looking for, who you're related to etc. Always a work in progress, a work that I truly love!

27 August 2009

Jesse Jones family history about the Mecklenburg Jones

Jesse Jones of Jarrett, Virginia wrote a wonderful family history in Dec 1981 about the Richard Jones family that is buried at Olive Branch Baptist church off Blackridge Rd. I was hoping to find Jesse and tell him how much I enjoyed the work he did. But I calculated he was born about 1908, based on him stating how old he was at several events in the book. So he would be over 100 years old now, and I can't find an address listing for him. So it's likely he's not still living. I am very grateful he wrote some memories down. He describes life so well & descriptively, about the old ways. I wish to quote something he wrote that I feel captures the reason why I love to learn about my Mecklenburg roots!

(pgs 9-10. His grandmother he writes about was Martha Alice Malone, who married Richard L. Jones)
"It would not be fair if I did not include here some items about Grandma. She, too, was very industrious, always busy. As a boy I recall she impressed me as being able to do most anything. She could knit socks or she could get the hammer and nails and repair a chicken coop. I remember, in spite of all her housework, she would milk the cows. She kept a lot of chickens and I remember seeing those big baskets of eggs she would send to the store to trade for sugar, coffee and many other items. In those days, if you did not trade out all the value of the eggs, you would be given a "due bill". Merchants would not pay money for eggs. I often think off all the work our ancestors did in those days, how they, as the saying was,"dug a living out of the ground". You heard a lot about "sun to sun" and nothing about forty-hour work weeks. In a lot of instances, they raised six or eight children, had no conveniences as we have today. We would be surprised, too, at how many of these people, after all the toils of the week, would have the stamina to show up at their church for Sunday Services.

We owe so much to our ancestors who labored, sweated, toiled and struggled to pull out of the poverty so many had known, especially following the Civil War. Let's be appreciative of their efforts!"


I'm thankful Mr. Jesse Jones shared his thoughts.

No comments: