Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

25 September 2009

Gittman, Mise, Taylor, Tanner, King family cemetery

video

Note: 26 Sep 2009. I am reposting yesterday's slide show, because Cindy Huggett told me that the Dolly J. Tanner has the maiden name of Thomas. So I updated the slide show, and am adding Thomas to the surname list. Dolly was daughter of Robert Massenburg Thomas & Julia Ann Kidd.
_________________________________________________________
Attached is a slideshow of cemetery pictures, labeled with genealogical info. If the text goes too fast, you can pause the video to read it. This cemetery is off of Blackridge Rd. This used to be "Black's Rd." The Gittmans told me when the Road was renamed, it changed a bit in front of their property, and moved about 500 feet to the west of where it used to be. (500 feet closer to the cemetery) This cemetery is located in the Bracey/Backridge area of Mecklenburg, VA, by Olive Branch Baptist church. I went here because I heard there were Taylors & Mise. And I had hoped to learn more about the Elizabeth Mise that married William Archer Dortch, my gr...grandpa. I was able to learn more about Elizabeth Mise, as I tried to learn more about the people in the cemetery. I studied Census from 1850-1930, marriage & military records to work on the relationships between these families with tombstones.

I don't know if Elizabeth Mise or William Archer Dortch could be in this cemetery or not. There are quite a few unmarked graves. In the meantime, while I don't know, I will continue searching, and here is the information on the tombstones that I do know about.

The following surnames are in this slideshow: Baird, Gittman, Griffith, Kidd, King, Land, Mise, Taylor, Tanner and Thomas.

More on this Elizabeth Mise and straightening out the two Elizabeth Mises' confusion in my next posting.

No comments: