Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

16 March 2014

Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery

Last weekend, I went to see Point Lookout. I have a lot of Ancestors from VA and NC, who of course would have been Confederate. Many of them spent some time in Point Lookout, and close to 4,000 men didn't make it out alive. Point Lookout was the really bad notorious prison for Confederates suffering, as Andersonville was for Union. As I stood on the coast at Point Lookout, I could see Virginia, which had to be an extra torture for the inmates, so close to home, separated by a mere few miles; but it was water, and heavily guarded.

I took many pictures, of both monuments, and the area. I took pictures of all the names there, at two monuments. So this will be the subject of my next few posts. I also added a tab under pages/pictures so that after this post isn't visible, the pictures will be easily accessible.

Here is a muster roll picture showing my ancestor Alvy Dortch. He was only 17 years old in Point Lookout, already orphaned. He did make it out alive, later married, had 11 children, and raised two grandchildren. (Image downloaded from Fold3.) Click on images to view full screen.
Alvy Dortch muster roll-Point Lookout prisoner
I was surprised that there were no tombstones for the cemetery. I was told by the Park Service that the cemetery had to be moved twice, because of water and loosing land to erosion. The first place prisoners were buried was right outside the hospital. Which was by the hospital, right near the lighthouse. I was there after rain, and there was standing water every where. Over 300 yards of coast have eroded from storms since the war. The Park Service said this monument was only one of two paid for by the Federal Government, for the Confederacy. All other Confederate Cemeteries, markers etc have been privately funded, which I did know. So it was interesting that Point Lookout was paid for by US "Northern" money, and am curious now what the other place is. Here is the monument which is actually also the cemetery, a mass grave:
Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery



At the base of the monument, all the names and unit are inscribed. Here is an example.  Fletcher Floyd and Elizabeth Mathis had several sons join the confederacy. They lived awhile in Brunswick, VA, then Warren, NC. Wyatt Floyd died at the Spotsylvania courthouse battle and I have his tombstone picture. His daughter Mattie Floyd married Charles Gray. Fletcher Floyd had another son Charles Floyd who died at Point Lookout. Here is his name on the monument: 
Charles Floyd Point Lookout
I found another person I believe to be related on another side of my family. WLStowe. Here is his name on the wall, and the notation on his muster roll showing he died at Point Lookout. Next week I will post about the privately funded memorial close by, with the pictures I took of it.
WL Stowe Point Lookout




No comments: