Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

13 July 2014

Very odd Danville, Virginia marriage laws

I went to Danville, VA to look for a few of my Gray's who married there. I went to the courthouse with a list of people who should have been married then. I couldn't find my people, yet, there were people getting married then. I asked in the courthouse and library and was told there were some odd marriage laws at the time. If you were a resident of Danville, you often couldn't get married in the city, people often went close by to North Carolina. Yet it wasn't as if Danville couldn't marry people. I found one couple, Frank Gray and Eula Bernard's marriage record in the courthouse. Eula lived her whole life in Danville, before marrying Frank, but Frank was not a resident. Since I saw their certificate I wondered if maybe Eula was actually in Pittsylvania county and not actually Danville, for me to find their record.

But then I was doing some searches on familysearch, and I saw a marriage record for Frank Gray and Eula married in Roanoke, VA. I was so surprised, because I found their record in Danville!

I found an article in the Danville Bee newspaper about marriage records. It was written 4 Dec 1924, around the time I was looking for marriage records. Click on images to view them larger. Thankfully a friend noticed for me, that this marriage record while in the Danville Courthouse, it does say that the marriage occurred in Roanoke. How confusing then!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Julie, This is fascinating to me. This explains why my NC ancestors married in Danville and why my VA ancestors married in NC. Thanks for sharing.