Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

27 October 2014

Virginia WWI questionnaires

Did you know, that in Virginia, if you served in WWI, and you survived, you were required to fill in a questionnaire? I'm told that Virginia was the only state that did this. I find it an amazing record, and I'm glad it was done. There's questions like  "What effect, if any, did your experience have on your religious belief?" Questions about opinions of being overseas. Return to civilian life questions, like: what occupation? Married? Mother, father, spouse, children? Religion? Citizen? Voter? If shell shocked? If possible a picture before and after war. (The few of my relatives, I have not seen pictures included. But a relative sent me a picture of Giles in uniform) Just an amazing amount of information, and in their handwriting!

I first found out about these records on Library of Virginia's website. (state archives). I just did a general search by several surnames, one at a time, and this database popped up with results. I was amazed that not only was it there, but I could download the images for free!
Here is an information page on LVA. It says the collection has 14,900 records!
http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/opac/wwiqabout.htm

This link takes you directly to the database of WWI questionnaires: http://lva1.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/F/?func=file&file_name=find-b-clas13&local_base=CLAS13

Here is one example I got. Giles Alvin Gliborne, son of William J. Cliborne and Hester Dortch. Hester's father was Alvin Dortch. You can click on images to view full screen. Alvin filled his survey in, in 1922. Hope you can find one of your Virginia relatives in this amazing collection!


No comments: