Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly, with the lack of records for my family, that I’d really have to “think outside the box”. I LOVE to interview people, and ask about "the older days" in Mecklenburg. I also study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try help preserve some of those memories people share with me. Feel free to sign my guestbook stating surnames you are looking for, who you're related to etc. Always a work in progress, a work that I truly love!

05 May 2015

New Irish record resource coming

Some Irish immigrants came to farm in Mecklenburg, and Brunswick, VA. The few people that I am aware of, like Gray and a few Purdy families, came from Armagh, Ireland, in Northern Ireland. I have two records for relatives, which were in Church of Ireland, not the Catholic church. (Even thought Armagh is famous for St. Patrick, and there is a church built where he originally dedicated a church.http://www.stpatricks-cathedral.org/cathedral-history/) Armagh is considered Northern Ireland, and Church of Ireland was predominant the time my family left (1838), with some Methodists' starting churches then. 

Eastman wrote an article I found of interest, which applies to Irish Catholics. I'm just so happy more Irish records are becoming accessible. Hoping more comes soon for Northern Ireland too. Here's a link to Eastman's news article with press release links, and information about the new records.

____________________________________________________

Irish Genealogy Resource with 400,000 Catholic Parish Records to go Online

· May 3, 2015  http://blog.eogn.com/2015/05/03/irish-genealogy-resource-with-400000-catholic-parish-records-to-go-online/

No comments: