Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

21 July 2015

Project Ireland XO

I recently read something on Dick Eastman's blog I was really excited about, and wanted to share. Here's his write up about this amazing project!  http://blog.eogn.com/2015/06/29/ireland-reaching-out-creates-reverse-genealogy/

Here is a direct link to the project: http://www.irelandxo.com/

I registered and signed up for updates on the Seagoe parish in Armagh County. The site recommended posting a note about your immigrating ancestor on the parish message board, to increase chances of someone in Ireland being able to help you connect. So I posted a note about John Gray, his wife Ann Purdy, and that Nicholas Purdy and his family immigrated with John Gray. I stated the date they left and where they settled in the USA (Mecklenburg, VA). I also stated that John Gray was a weaver at Col Blacker's estate.

The part I think is really great is that even if you don't know where your family is from in Ireland , you can still sign up, and other researchers will help you make connections. I don't know anything further back than John Gray, and I can't quite figure out the connection between John Gray's wife Ann Purdy and his friend Nicholas Purdy, or confirm if there is a connection. Hoping this site will help me with that some day. I'm also looking forward to information they post about Armagh and Seagoe.

No comments: