Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

03 July 2015

Rehoboth Church, Mecklenburg, VA

Julie (me) at Rehoboth Methodist Church.
I did a short visit to Mecklenburg last week. I asked a few guys who were telling me stories if I could take a picture of them. They said only if they got to take a picture of me first. So here I am, on the front steps of Rehoboth Church! I have a copy of a typed transcript of some membership records, showing my great ...grandfather Granderson Glover and his wife Arimenta Kidd were attending Rehoboth Church in 1855. Another great....grandfather John Gray was attending in 1851. My Jones ancestors were attending in the 1840s.

We have an old family letter that said Alginon Gray died in a construction accident somewhere in Indiana. The letter said he fell off a rail road bridge while he was working on it, hit his head on a rock and died, in October 1912. The letter also said, "his body was shipped back to Lacrosse to be buried in the family church cemetery." The railroad company paid for that cost of being sent back home. The Grays and Jones attended Rehoboth and several family members are buried there. At the time of 1912, only Alginon's sister Nannie Gray Kidd was living in Mecklenburg. The rest of the siblings lived in Danville, VA. My best guess is he was buried close to his sister Nannie. There aren't records anymore, there was a fire several years back. There are some unmarked stones by Nannie, so it is possible he is there. I haven't found a death certificate yet, because he didn't die in Virginia, and I need to know the county for Indiana. Nannie's husband Jimmy had died the year before in Jan 1911. Below is a picture of Nannie's tombstone with her husband Jimmy, and the rocks at a nearby tree. Nannie's daughter Annie Kidd Poythress is the tombstone beside the little tree.
Tombstone of Nannie Gray & husband Jimmy Kidd

Possible place Alginon Gray could be buried.

Rehoboth Church -Jun 2015

Rehoboth Church -Jun 2015

No comments: