Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly, with the lack of records for my family, that I’d really have to “think outside the box”. I LOVE to interview people, and ask about "the older days" in Mecklenburg. I also study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try help preserve some of those memories people share with me. Feel free to sign my guestbook stating surnames you are looking for, who you're related to etc. Always a work in progress, a work that I truly love!

22 September 2015

Books on FamilySearch

I wanted to share a link to a story on Eastman's blog: Arizona books-Eastman post
This talks about FamilySearch digitizing 5,000 books and making them available for free to the public. Family Search did not charge for this. A huge part of their purpose is preservation and accessibility to everyone, for free. I hope with a success like this, that other State Archives may join in this as well. Already many historical societies and smaller groups have partnered with FamilySearch for digitization and free accessibility to records.

There is one other thing I wanted to mention in this post, and that is how to find the books already in FamilySearch. The books in the Salt Lake Family History Library that are free from copyright, are all being digitized and made available. Normally when I do searches and the subject is "Mecklenburg, VA" I rarely get any results. But when I typed that here, under the books section, I got 3,780 results!! I figured they must be Mecklenburg, North Carolina or Meckleburg, Germany. But no, it meant Mecklenburg, VA! There were lots of small books written and submitted by families from Mecklenburg, Virginia, decades ago! Here's how you find and search for that:

 Go to FamilySearch.org
Click on the word search, and select "books"
This is the screen you'll see. Type in your surname, location etc. Results show which library and resource the books are in.
Happy Searching!!





No comments: