Welcome!

Welcome!
I realized quickly that I’d have to “think outside the box” to learn about my ancestors. I LOVE to interview people, and listen to stories about "the older days" when life seemed a little slower and simpler. I study USGS maps, plats, read chanceries, look for long forgotten cemeteries and try to help preserve memories people share with me. This blog is ad free, so it's easier to focus on sharing stories. Feel free to sign the guestbook, or join the FaceBook group. Even if we aren't related by DNA, I'd still love to hear about your research efforts and family stories. I am interested in posting (to this blog) stories relevant to the Mecklenburg-Brunswick families.

08 August 2017

Collaborative Questions and Stories



I'm trying a few new things with genealogy. Often the best help for my complex research projects, is talking through an idea with someone. I also find it helpful, to learn how other people discovered things. I enjoy listening to stories, which sometimes gives me ideas for my own projects.

With that in mind, I'm going to try something new in the Facebook group: a Question of the week, every Tuesday. I have pages and pages of questions I've already thought up. I'm focusing on questions that I hope could help the whole group. I'm impressed the group has grown to 76 members, for a relatively small research area. I'm also thankful that sometimes people post their questions or things about their family.  Hope to see much more sharing soon. As a moderator I regrettably haven't been very active except to screen each post to make sure it isn't spam, etc.  I am ready to be more involved now. I'm hoping a question of the week might help us learn more from each other, and encourage others to speak up about their own research questions. I recently got the Facebook Groups phone app, so I can immediately see requests to join, and check posts the second they post. This helps me see posts before they get lost in my feed. I'm seeing you can pre-write posts to send to FaceBook groups. So even if I'm having a bad day that Tuesday, I can still have a post written earlier, to try to keep things consistent.

Facebook Group link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MecklenburgVAGen/
 
I also hope people understand that I never really wanted to just hear myself or only share stuff I learned. Preservation of history and stories is what I want the most. So if you have ancestry from Mecklenburg, (or neighboring areas with Mecklenburg connections), I'd love to read and/or post your stories. Here or in the Facebook Group. Even if we aren't related. I enjoy and prefer collaboration. I feel preserving stories and family history is very rewarding. 

No comments: